At Renfrew, we have always been committed to being a diverse and inclusive organization and, in summer 2020, we strengthened this commitment by developing the Diversity & Inclusion Task Force.
This multi-member committee is made up of individuals from varying positions and departments within Renfrew. We have taken significant steps to create everlasting change as it influences clinical care, ongoing trainings to Renfrew staff and the professional community, as well as human resources policies and practices.
We offer the following virtual groups:
- A weekly Virtual BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Color) Patient Support Group, available across the country at all levels of care. In this group, we work to build trust, allowing BIPOC individuals to “show up” as their full selves while processing and discussing emotional responses surrounding race relations, complex racial issues and discrimination. Learn more.
- A weekly Virtual SAGE (Sexuality and Gender Equality) Support Group, available across the country for all levels of care. In this group we provide a safe, nurturing, and empowering environment to enhance the eating disorder recovery experience, tailored for patients who are members of the LGBTQIA+ community. Learn more.
- A bi-weekly Virtual Spanish-Speaking Virtual Support Group. Attendees receive guidance from clinical staff and each other, while learning how to effectively communicate with their loved one and help them move forward in their recovery. Participants also discuss The Renfrew Center Unified Treatment Model for Eating Disorders and gain an understanding of how it serves as the foundation for their loved one’s treatment. Learn more.
- We have also been working to educate the public on the impacts of race on eating disorders through our media efforts. Some notable placements include:
- Therapy for Black Girls Podcast: Session 165: Let’s Chill with the Quarantine 15 Jokes with Gayle Brooks
- All Bodies. All Foods. Podcast: Episode 9: Let’s Get ‘Comfortably Uncomfortable’: Cultural Humility in Eating Disorder Treatment with Paula Edwards-Gayfield
- FOX 29 Philadelphia: Zoe Stoller, MSS, LSW, joins The Renfrew Center’s Jessica Taylor, LPC to bring awareness to eating disorders in the LGBTQIA+ community.
- USA Today: Eating disorders disproportionately effect the LGBTQIA+ community, but not many know why that is. Dr. Samantha DeCaro, PsyD, joins experts to discuss possible risk factors and queer folks share their recovery.
We are proud of these enhancements and know there is more work to be done. Continue to check back for the latest updates from the Task Force.