The Renfrew Center Diabetes Program for Eating Disorders
Diabetes continues to be a major health threat for the 29 million or more Americans who suffer from this debilitating disease and its medical complications. Those complications markedly increase when girls and women with diabetes develop an eating disorder.
- This specialized program combines diabetes care with the psychological treatment of eating disorders.
- Renfrew’s medical and nursing staff collaborate with the patient’s diabetes team.
- Renfrew’s treatment team has oversight from a Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE).
- An Interactive Diabetes Workbook, specifically tailored to Renfrew’s program, is designed to facilitate the patients’ ability to identify, experience, tolerate and express emotion.
- Activities such as cooking, grocery shopping, art therapy, exercise, as well as exposure work relating to food, body image and social issues, help patients gain the skills and confidence to address the emotional factors that contribute to their eating disorder.
For more information about The Renfrew Center's Diabetes Program for Eating Disorders, please call 1-800-RENFREW (736-3739).